A powerful opiate that’s usually sold as a white or brown powder.
How the drug works varies from person to person
- How you might feel
- Happy, relaxed, euphoric and/or sleepy, often in a ‘rush’ of effects.
- Read more about how it feels
- Effects on your body
- You might feel sick and vomit, especially if not used to the effect. Drowsy, dry mouth, heart rate and breathing slow down.
- Read more about effects on your body
- How long it takes to work
- If smoking or injecting heroin, the effects kick in immediately. Snorting takes a few minutes to have an effect.
- Read more about how long it takes to work
- How long the effects last
- Smoking effects last for up to an hour. Injecting or snorting lasts longer and can be more intense. After effects can last much longer, however you take it.
- Read more about how long the effects last
- Common risks
- Risk of overdose and death is high. Mixing heroin with other downers (including methadone, alcohol, and benzodiazepines) is extremely dangerous. Heroin is highly addictive so you may become dependent on it and need more to get the same effect.
- Read more about the risks
- Mixing drugs
- Mixing drugs is always risky but some mixtures are more dangerous than others.
- Read more about mixing with other drugs
Was this information useful?